Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Code-bloat is the root of all evil.

Quoted from farkeruk from fark.com:
Note: fark.com censorship removed.

I still run a fucking old Winamp despite having numerous big bastard media players (which are only used because each has it's own fucking proprietary shit that some cunts still use - yes, I'm pointing at you RealfuckingNetworks), because when I click an MP3, I want it to play. I don't want an update message. I don't want to know about some new fucking newsletter or "community". I don't want it to sit there occupying as much memory as fucking Skynet. MP3. Fast. Now.

Listen to the Vista twats. "Hey, it's got larger icons with shadows that zoom in as you put your mouse over it, and right click to hear the name of the program in fucking elvish". Even the Ubuntu folk have got into this with fucking Beryl. "Look how cool this is. You can move your mouse to a corner of the screen and pull it down and it animates like fucking bullet time to the next screen".

Listen, assholes, this shit like fucking clippy and Windows 95 themes is cool for 10 fucking minutes and then just gets in the fucking way and costs me CPU, memory and hard drive. Give me an OS that treats me like a fucking grown up who wants to use his computer to get shit done, even if that shit is playing fucking Wolfenstein. It's an OS. It's there to launch programmes, configure internet and printer shit, organise files and run tasks.

--

Okay, THIS right here is my main gripe with everything these days.

Everything has become proprietary, code-bloated and utterly unwieldy. Vista is so choked with security, DRM and shiny-crappy that I'm surprised that Microsoft managed to shoehorn an OS into what is otherwise an over-glorified version of Norton System Works.

I mentioned proprietary - let me touch on that for a moment. When did it become a circus to rip music as an .mp3? Not .wma, .ra, or any other media-program-specific file format, but a fucking MIKE-PAPA-FUCKING-THREE.

And if there were another, more efficient way to copy music, keep it under an average of 3.0Mb per song, and NOT reduce quality to about that of an analogue cassette, I'd like to see the .mp3 die off, too (.xm format, anyone?).

Yeah. To Hell with Media Player. I'm using WinAmp.

No comments: